Thursday 25 February 2016

The Flying Scotsman

Today was a very special day as the restored Flying Scotsman completed its inaugural run from London Kings Cross to the National Railway Museum in York.  Everyone of a certain age must remember the Scotsman with affection as do I.  There's something primaeval about steam trains even if they were rather sooty.  The engine had been out of use for 10 years while all the refurbishments were made.  I have to thank my husband for the photos in this post as I stayed closer to home and walked down to the town to watch her pass but failed to get any photos.  It was fabulous to see her steaming past a few yards away.

 DH and his friend had gone out to their chosen viewpoint early but many many people had got the same idea.

 Here she comes!

 I liked the wind-turbine in the background contrasting with the older steam power.


And there she goes.  As we live along the East Coast mainline we will no doubt have the chance to see her again at some time but today was special.

I enjoyed my walk and snapped a favourite group of trees on the way,
I love these stately Silver Birch trees and they looked spectacular in the sunshine today.

 This should have been my photograph of the Flying Scotsman but she snuck up on me and I missed my chance.  Thank goodness for DH!  By the way, all those 'Low Bridge' signs are no use at all.  Apparently drivers of high vehicles are incapable of reading or understanding the signs and regularly hit the bridge.  Sigh.

PS  Eek!  I've just discovered this is my 900th post!  Who knew I had so much to say? lol




5 comments:

Heather said...

Happy 900th post Julie! I could almost smell the steam from those wonderful photos. I love steam trains probably because a train ride meant a special journey during my childhood. Everywhere ordinary could be reached by bus. I would certainly have joined the crowds to watch the Flying Scotsman if I'd had the chance.
I love your winter trees too.

Gina said...

What a magnificent sight. Congratulations on 900 posts!

Anonymous said...

How marvelous to view. Yes I do remember the train lore. Would loved to have seen it. xox

liniecat said...

She must haved been a great sight to see!
Last time I saw she was in York at the museum in blue livery, so nice to se her back in green.
Love the bridge comment lol you cant understand can you how you could forget you have a high vehicle lol

Maggi said...

We have a bridge like that one too!

Well done to Stewart for getting the photos that many people apparently failed to achieve.