Monday 11 August 2014

Festival of Quilts 2

Where was I?  Oh yes, the exhibition quilts.


 I was very intrigued by this little quilt above and the clever way the animal is integrated into the background.  This quilt and the one below are by Elena Folomyeva, a Russian quilt artist who had her own gallery. 


There are more of her quilts from the show here




Ann Johnston has made many beautiful and detailed quilts of the Sierra Nevada.


Christine Chester 'Story of an Eastbourne Beach' appealed to me with its intricate surface detail.




These three quilts above are part of the 'Identity'  theme explored by members of Art Textiles: Made in Britain and are by Ineke Berlyn.


This whole gallery had a wonderful feel to it and the work was inspiring and stimulating. 



These beautiful embroidered panels are by Rosie James in the same gallery as Ineke and it was interesting to see the stitched figures overlaying the real figures moving through the gallery space. Other artists in the group included Hilary Beattie, Cas Holmes, Christine Restall, Jenny Rolfe and others.




These lovely textures are just details from work by Judith Mundwiler whose work I must explore further.  Her website is written in German but I thought I would include the link.

There were so many beautiful quilts at the show this year and I was really pleased that I did at least manage to get there.  I hope I have brought you a flavour of the show.


5 comments:

Peneller said...

You snapped some real beauties Julie. I thought the Identity gallery was wonderful and Ann Johnstons exhibition was stunning. Thanks for posting the photos.

Mystic Quilter said...

Thanks so much for more pics from the Festival. I have always admired pieces from Ineke Berlyn and do like these three pieces shown, also the work by Judith Mundwiler, thank you for the link, I shall go and explore.

Heather said...

I haven't the energy to spend a day at the Quilt Show and am not a quilter anyway, but I do enjoy seeing the work of quilters. There are some stunning pieces here and such variety too. I can sit back and soak up the atmosphere without leaving the house, so thankyou for sharing all your wonderful photos.

Margaret Garrood said...

Lovely photos Julie. You seem to have found some quilts that I don't remember seeing. Just proves two days are not enough!

Maggi said...

More that I hadn't seen. I also forgot to take photos of Ann Johnston's exhibition but I did buy the book!