This post is almost a word for word copy of the post that will have been revealed this morning over at the International Quilt Challenge blog and I have reproduced it here to save me re-writing a separate post for this blog (lazy mare!). I think the photos should open if not please pop across to the Challenge blog for a better view. I am trying to save time as I have a busy week coming up and am writing this post in advance.
As I said in my earlier post I was becoming fascinated with the quality of light that comes through a stained glass window and I particularly became fascinated with the cut through process that I had been playing with. After I had made a piece 10" square for my Journal Quilt I have gone on to make an A3 sized piece for this challenge. It is not the only piece I have made, more of that in a minute.
As you can see I didn't actually take this particular technique any further, mostly because I didn't have the time but I may well play with it some more when time allows. You may notice that the quilt I made for the Olympics had a grey binding whereas I used black for this. I wasn't sure whether the black would be too dark but I think it works.
I said in my previous post that I wanted to experiment with sheers and I have had a great time doing just that. I took a selection of neutral organzas, silks and nylon sheers and used fabric paints tostamp and make monoprints on their surfaces. I kept the monoprints neutral in tones of grey and was a bit worried at first that they might be too light to show up. Sadly I was so busy working I didn't take any photos of the process.
The next step was to use silk paints to add colour to the pieces of fabric. I decided on silk paint as I didn't have a lot of time, again. Once the fabrics were all prepared I started to cut and piece them using a pojagi style of seam. This is the result:
The photograph above was taken indoors with the piece laying on the top of my sewing table. It is very slightly smaller than A3 size. I then took further photographs outside.
After photographing the piece hanging from our driftwood I couldn't resist hanging the 'window' in the lilac tree where the sun was shining through this morning.
I have made a lot of mistakes with the stitching in this technique and a certain amount of drifting has occurred but I am so delighted with the way this has turned out. The surface marks are really exciting me and I am really happy with my interpretation of 'Through The Window'. I am quite tempted though to leave it out in the garden to let the sun shine through and see how it ages.