Friday 11 June 2010

I'm Excited!

I have been to my art group this morning and took some printouts of the quilt top with me and had a play at chopping it up and rearranging it.  Sandra Wyman had suggested that I cut the strips to different widths so I experimented with that.  Thank you Sandra, it was a good idea.  


So, first of all I tried the cut strips arranged with the middle sky strip pushed higher than the other two.  No, not so keen on that.


Then I tried cutting it into 4 strips of various widths.  I definitely prefer this arrangement to the original 3 strips and the varying widths is more appealing too.


Finally I cut 4 uneven strips and flipped two over.  I think this is the one I am going to go with!  I am really excited by it as you can still see that it is about the sea but it makes you look further.  Soooooo, the next step is to make some samples to sort out what colour threads I should use for the eventual quilting.

Funnily enough, I feel less worried about the quilting now that I have made my mind up to cut it up.  It feels less precious somehow.

Thank you all for your comments.  It's wonderful to be able to share your creative problems and get advice so quickly.

16 comments:

Mrs Moog said...

Your quilt is going to look stunning, Julie.

I think you're incredibly brave to cut it up. I'd be far too chicken to do that!

xx

Lyn said...

OOOOh exciting, can't wait to see it done!
Love
Lyn
xxx

cornishmist - thats me ju x said...

Hi, lovely to see your work in progress with your ideas and thoughts look forward to seeing your finished quilt Have a fun weekend ju x

Anonymous said...

So glad that you took the leap of faith and decided to cut it.

The WestCountryBuddha said...

:))

Unknown said...

I am very curious how you are developping this.

Sandra Wyman said...

Wow Julie - I'm really excited by this too - you've done wonders with my tiny suggestion: great to see it working out like this!

Jan said...

You c ..ca ..cu ...cut it up ? how brave ,what if it hadnt worked out ? ? Ooo-err,but actually yes it did ..clever girl ...love Jan xx

Heather said...

It's looking very Sandra Meech to me Julie - it's going to be fantastic. It takes courage to put the scissors to a piece of artwork, but it has paid off.

Elis Cooke said...

I am really responding to these horizontal works you have been doing! thanks so much for sharing this clever idea! to print out a copy and mess around before you cut up the original is brilliant!
namaste

Emma said...

They say we need to be less precious, well done! Love the 'flipped' version. Just been catching up as I've finished the 50 th card! Your beautiful nephew makes me broody...for grandchildren!...(no, not yet!!)

Angela said...

Your quilt is going to be great. The experiments you've done so far have looked good so the quilt will be fantastic. Your very brave to cut it up.

ju-north said...

Hurrah! Looking good!

Cameron said...

Julie, Please continue to be my friend, as I am going to disagree with you and all the others. Maybe I am too conventional, but I like the second one the best. This is of course, just my opinion, but I think that the flipped one puts too much blue in the middle. Just me. Carry on... The quilt is beautiful, and I love the cut strips.
Love and Hugs, Cameron

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Love the thought process. Thanks for sharing it all xoxoxo

Unknown said...

what a great idea to print it out and play with it! I have a picee that has stalled on me so will give this a try! xoxo