Saturday 19 December 2009

I’m back

This is one of those posts where you don’t know where to start because you’ve been quiet for so long! ;o)  I am still coughing, a bit, but not as much as I was, finally, thank goodness.  Ah, that’s better.  I’ve broken the ice. 

The project that I didn’t want to show just yet is now finished. Yay!!!  For a smallish piece it has taken me a long time to complete and I have been working on it over the last 2 weeks between all the coughing.  (Johnathan, if you should be reading this post could you bale out now, please, as I’m going to put a photo up. Good lad)

Has he gone yet?

Are you sure?

OK, so I’ll show you what I’ve been doing.

baby's quilt

My nephew and his wife are having their first child in February and, although I had said I would never make a quilt again I really wanted to make one for this new member of the family.  The fabric is not pieced as you can probably tell.  It is made by Andover fabrics.

baby's quilt detail

I wasn’t sure what design to use for quilting and eventually decided to use spirals and some wavy stitching (very technical terms!) with some little hearts.  When it came to the panel of flowers I followed the shapes of the flowers with the stitching.

Before I started on the quilt I practised on a sample first and was able to make this into a bucket bag.

baby's quilt2

Actually it doesn’t look quite like this now as I have lined it and turned the top over but you get the gist.  I am really pleased with the quilt and the bag and I couldn’t restrain myself from showing you all so I hope my nephew hasn’t looked in.  The quilt is just less than a metre square but I still found it quite strenuous quilting it on my little Janome.  Fortunately I found that I could use the extension table from my embellisher to support the quilt so that did make the job a bit easier.  Will I make another one?  Hmmm! Quite possibly as my friend’s daughter is expecting a baby in the summer next year and I would quite like to make her a quilt too.  Watch this space!

So, how many of you are snowed in this weekend?  We have been fairly lucky and just have about an inch of snow but it is freezing hard.  Hopefully we won’t get too much more.  It’s surprising how localised the snow has been in this part of the country.  If you pop across to my DH’s blog he has been posting a few photos of our town in the snow.  ( I stayed home and got my sewing room ready for my Mum who will be coming up for Christmas).   There will be more over the next couple of days, I’m sure.

Today brought me some exciting Christmassy post.

IMG_0035 

The very lovely Dilly sent me two parcels and they both arrived today.  The larger parcel has some very green bows on it.  Green is one of Dilly’s favourite colours. Well, she is a baby dwagon!  I am going to be very good and not open these till Christmas Day. Is that all right Dilly?

I’ve had 2 special cards today too

IMG_0037

This very pretty card from Dilly and Helena, not forgetting Bob T Bear and his daddy.

IMG_0036

And this lovely card from Carolyn, my very dear friend in St Ives Cornwall who is not too well at the moment.  Hurry up and get well Carolyn xx

I have a confession to make.  I have been so busy with trying to get my baby quilt finished in time for my brother to take it to my nephew this week that I haven’t found the time to make any Christmas cards for my many blogging friends.  I hope you will forgive me and know that I wish you all a very Happy Christmas.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to rush off and watch the final of Strictly Come Dancing.  I still can’t decide who I want to win.  See you soon!!

 

14 comments:

sweetypie said...

I have had your lurgy all this week too very quiet house as I also couldnt speak without coughing myself to death, isnt it nice to be back in the land of the living and sewing again yaaay!

ju-north said...

Wonderful work! It will be much admired! May you both have a lovely christmas!

Heather said...

Glad your cough is gradually easing off - mine is taking it's time but much better than previously. I love the quilt and bag you made for your nephew's baby and am sure parents and baby will love them too. The fabric is so 'happy'. What beautiful cards you have received - I have only made one card this year!!

The WestCountryBuddha said...

So glad you're a bit better and back with us! Love the quilt! Really, really good. I also popped over to your DH's blog...he's quite good with the old photos isn't he? :) If he has any interesting portraits that he wouldn't mind sharing - so I can have a go at painting them - point him in my direction!! Thanks and a very Happy Christmas and a peaceful New Year to you and yours.x

Julie said...

Thank you Heather :) I'm glad your cough is improving. Keep up the good work! I've been very remiss in not making any cards this year too. I think the cold put a stop to quite a few things that I might otherwise have done for Christmas.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear that you've been sick! Good to know that you're better! What a lovely quilt! Lucky baby who gets to sleep under it.

Angela said...

Glad your on the mend.
Your quilt looks lovely.

pam said...

The baby quilt is lovely - glad your cough is better - Have a super Christmas

JP said...

glad you are feeling a bit brighter - i love the quilt - it is just so warm and summery - just right for the baby

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

What a lovely gift for a new baby.
I hope you have a lovely Christmas.xx

Maggi said...

Lovely quilt Julie and good use of the practice piece which has made a great bag. Hope you are feeling better by now and will be able to enjoy a happy Christmas

gilby said...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
to you and yours.

Julie said...

Angela and Pam and JP, thank you so much :o)

Gill, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too. Hope you're keeping well. Long time no see :o)

Margaret Cooter said...

The quilt is an inspiration for one I'll be making for the first grandchild of a dear friend -- I'd decided not to make any more bed quilts, but for a baby, hey you gotta...