Wednesday 2 September 2009

Disintegration

Seth Apter's disintegration project came to a conclusion on 1 August when there was a reveal of everyone's efforts with their 'disintegrated' bundles. Unfortunately I didn't manage to join in with the reveal at that time and have only now managed to make a start on my piece.

~
I previously showed my opened bundles in a post here.

~
After a lot of pondering I decided to make use of a child's board book that I had already started altering. So far I have collaged the front cover and one page inside.
~


~
The centrepiece for this page is a photograph which I am really pleased with. The emulsion has been altered by being exposed to the elements and some of it has been transferred to other surfaces which I will use on later pages. Some of the elements of the collage show hardly any alteration other than a little discolouration whereas the key has rusted beautifully (I think it may have been a bit rusty to start with). I am still considering whether to extend some of the lines from the photograph onto the adjoining papers. At the moment I can't decide whether that would be in wax crayon or some other medium.
~


~
The first and only inside page I have completed so far is based on a collage of various papers, doillies and corrugated card which I had already made on the page. I selected a piece of painted tissue from the disintegration bundle which just shows a small change in its appearance where it has acquired a few damp marks. I stamped with a feather on the tissue with indigo (fabric) paint and then with gold. Once dry I glued the paper to the page.

~
I have plenty more papers and rusty bits from the bundles so I will continue to add to this book over the coming months and I'm almost certainly going to prepare some more bundles to put outside over the winter for more disintegration.
~



~
While I've been writing this post I've been watching a recording of the Edinburgh Military Tattoo. I keep promising myself that we will go one year but we've never made it yet. (Well I am quarter Scots). If you click the YouTube link you'll be able to find more performances from this year's Tattoo. It's giving me ideas for a quilt challenge next year for which the theme is 'Summer in the City'. There is so much colour and music in the tattoo that it may give me a starting point. That is, if my hands will allow me to sew. I had terrible pain problems making the dolls and have had to work on them in short sessions. It's really depressing when fine movement and gripping is so painful. Almost everything I do during the day results in pain in my hands to a greater or lesser extent . I could swear but I'd better not! Oh, go on then! It's a b****r!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Gabriela said...

Hi Julie!I love those pieces! They are beautiful! Someone from England sent me a piece of that wire like mesh with the circle cut outs and I love it. What is it?

Unknown said...

I've been waiting to see what you were going to create with your lovely disintegrated pieces. Beautiful!

Seth said...

Beautiful start Julie. Looking forward to seeing more as you work on this project. Thanks for being a part of it!!