Thursday 26 March 2009

Derbyshire Patterns


~
This little plant was growing high on a wall at Cromford Mill and I was interested to see the flowers were forming the shape of a cross. It is probably only a chance view resulting from the angle I was looking at it from. Cromford Mill was the home of the first successful water powered cotton spinning mill built in 1771 by Richard Arkwright. The Mill has been rescued from dereliction and is in the process of development into a commercial and archival enterprise. Not least of the attractions here is Quiltessential patchwork shop!
~

~
I think that these structures in the photograph above sluice gates, no longer in use. They are on the river that flows through Bakewell which we visited on Saturday. Their form seems quite architectural to me and I think they may well crop up in a piece of work in the future.
~
~
These beautiful carvings are in the Parish church in Tideswell which is known as The Cathedral of the Peak. If you click on the photograph to enlarge it you will be able to see, not only the fine quality of the carving but also, a green man, which can be found in most churches, and a beautiful dragon. The wood carvings in Tideswell Church are very rich and detailed and are the work of a local man, Advent Hunstone who had previously been a stonemason. I would have photographed more of the carvings but I don't like using a flash in a church.
~
~
I think these tiles are probably Victorian and I love the details in the edging tiles.
~
Hopefully we will go back to /Derbyshire for a longer break another time.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Maggi said...

Glad you enjoyed your stay in Derbyshire. I trust you managed to spend some money at Ann's at Cromford! She has only just moved into the new premises from the smaller shop next door and it has given her so much more room to display things.

Gina said...

This is such a lovely part of the country. I have fond memories of visiting Bakewell... funnily enough they involve a large, deep and rather wonderful slice of Bakewell Tart!

Dominic said...

Did you manage to see the three, 15th century misericords at St John's? These add just a finishing touch to what is already a superb church.

Julie said...

Hi Dominic. Thank you for the link to the Misericords. I did see the figure holding the beak of the wyvern and basilisk but I don't remember seeing the angel. It is certainly a memorable church and I'm sure we will go back if we are in the area again.

DILLY said...

Hewo Julie!!

Dilly hav berfday soon!
MWEAH!

Dilly goin Lincoln on Berfday.

Go see imp in Cathedral!

¬"

Julie said...

Ooh Dilly! Happy early berfdi! I live near Lincoln. I could come and see the imp too! (I know where he is hehehehe.