Friday 30 January 2009

Sunny (but cold) Stamford

I've been on a little outing to Stamford, which is just over 20 miles away from home today, with our friendly coach company. I should have been going with a friend but she was in pain from a shoulder problem this morning so decided not to go.

~

As it turned out to be a lovely sunny morning I thought I would have a wander round the areas away from the centre before heading for the shops.

~


~
This lovely view is from an area called "The Meadows" towards the town. Not in the photograph because the light was wrong are the expansive meadows which give the area its name.

~

~
This is one of many lovely old streets in this beautiful town where many buildings are built in sandstone. I saw several examples of the bow fronted building too.
~

~
This is the very elegant Rutland Terrace on the western outskirts of the town and the photograph below shows a very stylish column with The Bastion tower in the background which is the best surviving fragment of the 13th century defensive walls.
~



Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Angela said...

It sounds like you had a nice day.Stamford is full of lovely architechture. I always find Stamford cold where ever you are the wind just seems to find you.It is also where Middlemarch was filmed.

Maggi said...

Thanks for the pictures, Stamford is such a beautiful place. My cousin does the craft markets there which are also on the street and unlike Angela I have managed to have some very warm days there!

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Some lovely inspiring patterns in the architecture here Julie. Looks like you had a lovely day exploring! You have inspired me to do a little exploring on my own in my area, taking a coach to another town is such a good idea. I think I will wait till the weather has warmed up a little first though ......

Have a good weekend
Carolyn

Gina said...

Stamford is one of my favourite places (although we did have the most spectacularly bad lunch the last time we were there!)

Maureen said...

lovely photo's Julie, one of our favourite places when we caravan at Rutland water.

maggik1 said...

Oh, thank you for the pictures of Stamford. I visited a few years ago and thought it was lovely - you have made me want to return! I didn't see the statue - wonder if it's quite new? Love reading your blog but haven't left a comment until now - naughty.

Julie said...

Hi Maggik1 Thank you for plucking up the courage to say hi! :o) The sculpture in Stamford was erected last year I think.

Did you solve your problem with Picasa? It will only let you blog 4 photos at a time which is why I split some of my posts up and have several posts on one day. You have to fiddle with the post times to get them all in the right order! Great fun!

sharon young said...

How spooky!!! My knitting pattern was produced by Twilleys of Stamford, it looks gorgeous, another one to add to the list.
I love your quilted piece and the inchies, the colours and patterns are wonderful.
Many thanks for your lovely comment on my post.

Ro Bruhn said...

This is one of my favourite towns, I used to live in Spalding many, many moons ago which is fairly close to Stamford. I'd love to be there right now in the cool.

Mrs Moog said...

What a pretty place - I love those Georgian terraces.

I completely misread the start of the post and thought you'd said your friend couldn't go because she WAS a pain in the shoulder! Need to find my glasses.....
xxx

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.