Tuesday 2 December 2008

A Little Craftiness

Do you remember this?
~
~
I can't remember whether I've mentioned it before but, a few weeks ago, the four of us who have been doing the dyeing workshops agreed to take a section of our printed cloth, add to it and then cut it into 4 and swap. So that it's not too huge a task we have decided on a piece of fabric the size of a fat quarter (18 x 22 ins). I've been putting off starting a bit but I have been giving it quite a lot of thought. I do like the layered paint effects that Committed to Cloth and Ruth Issett use so I thought I would work along these lines as we have agreed not to overdye the cloth.
~
~
The photograph above shows the cloth after two treatments. First, I did some shibori stitching and gathering and then applied bleach with a toothbrush. I left the bleach on for only a few minutes and then rinsed it well in cold water. Then, I used a text stamp I had bought at the K & S Show with Lumiere paint to print onto the surface. (The text stamp came from Dimension Fourth Ltd)
~
~
I love feathers and have used a gull feather to print across the fabric, using the same Lumiere paint.
~
~
These lovely marks are the negative images left where I had used the paper to smooth over the feather to obtain the print. They are almost more lovely than the positive images. (Excuse my shadow, I had to photograph this indoors).
~
That's as far as I've gone today but I do intend to continue tomorrow. I am planning to continue printing but will introduce some complimentary colour, probably with some leaf shapes. I am so enjoying the printing that it is very tempting to keep going so I hope I don't wreck it by adding too much.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

The WestCountryBuddha said...

This is looking really good. I like the stamps especially the feather, both in the positive and negative versions. It's a great idea to swap like that with your friends and should be very interesting to see what everyone comes up with.

Anonymous said...

Julie it is looking good, I like the way the bleach has left some yellow with the green,

Sharne Gregory said...

Its looking good, I cant wait to see what you do next.

Ann Christy said...

Very interesting so far - looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Gina said...

The feather prints are amazing Julie. Love the way they have turned out.

gilby said...

Hi Julie,
Fabric is stunning, love the feather print. Which company did you buy your text stamp from.
Gill (see you on the 13th)

Margaret S said...

I particularly like the effect of the text on top of the dye, must try it

Julie said...

Gilby, Hi! The text stamp came from Dimension Fourth Ltd. I've now put a link into the post. Looking forward to the 13th.

Sandra Wyman said...

Looks good so far - looking forward to seeing more!

Robin Mac said...

I love it - likeeveryone else I will be interested to see what happens next. I must try stamping with a feather too, I have quite a collection of them now. Cheers, Robin