Monday 11 February 2008

Snowdrops and Crocuses


Mondays and visits to the dentist! What could be worse? A filling!!!! Yuck! That means I've got to go back next week and it's going to cost a fortune! There was a compensation though, another beautiful sunny day and a walk round the lovely churchyard of
St Mary's Bingham.



When I walked through the lych gate I was greeted with a beautiful sight

Isn't it absolutely beautiful? The crocuses and snowdrops are naturalised throughout this part of the graveyard.




This beautiful clump of snowdrops was just inside the lychgate and I love the strong shadows they cast on the ground.
~
I had a little look round the interior of the church and was struck by the light through the stained glass window falling across a stone effigy, which I was quite surprised to see in a small town/village church.
The figure marks the tomb of Sir Richard de Bingham and you can see the detail of his chainmail on the arm.
This is one of the engraved windows on the north side of the church.
I do like to wander round churchyards, especially a really old churchyard like this one. I find gravestones endlessly interesting with their often beautiful carvings and the history of families over the centuries.

4 comments:

magsramsay said...

What uplifting photos - particularly as I've also been suffering at the dentist with a wisdom tooth extraction and subsequent infection. Everything tastes of Iodine! Good luck with the filling.

artisbliss said...

I love these photos. If and when I ever get to visit England I am going on a tour of village churches and churchyards. How fascinating!

Ro Bruhn said...

What lovely photos Julie, I miss the crocuses, they are very hard to grow over here, too warm for them.

DeeMom said...

Great post

I am waiting for spring to see my Snowdrops come up, they are such a delicate flower...make great earrings don't ya think?