Saturday 21 July 2007

I had great plans for today but I'm feeling frustrated with myself as, in my usual butterfly minded way, I have repeatedly been side tracked and then got tired, resorted to an afternoon sleep and have not achieved everything I wanted to. I have managed to create a little more space outside so I will hopefully keep the momentum going out there and re-organise my mixed media materials so that I can get some work done. I have been looking at Elis's blog at intothe blystics again and she has fired me up with lots of ideas so I need to get going. I have to say that Elis is very generous with her ideas and instructions. Thanks Elis.


As I don't have any work to show for today I thought I would show you a few photos I have taken of surfaces and textures. I hope blogger will let you enlarge them as he seems to be a bit choosy about which ones he'll "grow". Here's another rusty buoy and a second with lovely rust and turquoise colours.





The surface below is the underside of a boat in the harbour at St Ives which I took in April this year during our annual pilgrimage. My mum's mum came from Cambourne in Cornwall and, whether because of this link or not, I love this area and can't wait to go back. We have spent the last 3 annual holidays in St Ives and it feels like going home every time. And so to bed and dreams of St Ives..........

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Julie

I visited your Blog afer seeing your message in Freecycle (South Kesteven)regarding the Magazines. can't help you with those I'm afraid, I have a collection of my own that needs to be 'liberated' too.

Just wanted to say that I share your interest in textures and like your use of the macro function in your camera.

I am an artist in south Lincolnshire.

John

www.art-insight.co.uk

artmixter said...

Kings Lynn clearly has a better quality of rust, as it's not far from here, I think I'll go look... gorgeous textures and colours. Sleeping in the afternoon is a good thing...well, I do it, anyway...regularly. The work doesn't go away, and there's plenty time to do it in, regardless of wee naps. Trust me, I'm a quilter...

Carol said...

I love your texture pictures. Plenty inspiration there to get you going. Thank you for your comment on my blog. I am working on the book tute.

Julie said...

Marion - thank you for your comment. The buoys were on the quayside behind the Cornmarket on Tuesday Market Place if I remember rightly. There was quite a lot to get excited about there in terms of texture and pattern. Also some lovely rusting corrugated iron!
I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in my napping!

Carol - Thank you for looking at my blog. I am a complete sucker for texture and am always looking more closely at the detail than the general scene. I know I am not the only one who photographs cracks in mud, manhole covers, rusting metal, peeling paint etc etc for inspiration! I just need to spend some time playing with photoshop to manipulate some of my photos!